Get engaged and involved
Networking is said to be 20 times more effective than any other mechanism for starting, succeeding in, and advancing your career. Join a Student Chapter at your college or university and begin networking for your career. Develop strong relationships with peers and meet and mingle with professionals from Academia, Big Industry, the consulting industry, and regulatory bodies.
The Canadian Prairie and Northern Section of the Air & Waste Management Association is a strong association of Industry, Consulting, and Government professionals that specialize in air and waste management as well as other types of environmental protection and monitoring.
Join CPANS and the Air & Waste Management Association as a student member for a mere $35 annually or join as a student chapter member for only $15 annually. Compete in competitions and take advantage of opportunities to mix and mingle at monthly lunches, evening mixers, the annual conference and get connected with a professional mentor, all at free to reduced rates.
University of Alberta Student Chapter
Chair: Mohammad Feizbakhshan
Vice Chair: Biniyam Amdebrhan
Secretary: Hao Shi
Treasurer: Rania Awad (signing authority)
Supportive CPANS Professional Chapter Members:
The goal of this student chapter is to connect student members to environmental professionals while aiming to be accessible and relevant to students; provide student members with increased opportunities to exchange information; and, improve environmental knowledge. In doing so, the chapter hopes to provide students with unique opportunities that will help with future career goals.
University of Calgary Student Chapter
Chair: Matthew Saowapon
Vice Chair: Duncan Brownsey
Secretary: Natasha Garner
Treasurer: Dylan Cunningham
Career Liason Officer: Nahid Hassanvand-Gandaei
The University of Calgary CPANS student chapter was founded in the interest of providing students with the opportunity to connect with professionals who are focused on the environmental issues surrounding air and waste management. We are determined to help narrow the gap between students and their potential employers by providing a network with a strong foundation in environmental stewardship. In this way we can help each other to create a clean and sustainable environment for future generations.
Mount Royal University Student Chapter
Chair: Jordan Hromyk
Vice Chair: Katelyn Foster
Secretary: Ron Goyhman
Treasurer: Greta Vela
Scholarship opportunities are available through the Air & Waste Management Association.
Start a Student Chapter
Starting a Student Chapter
If your institution doesn’t have a student chapter, get a group of friends/like-minded people together and start one with as little as ten of you.
- Gather the ten or more of you together.
- Download and complete the ‘Starting a Chapter‘ excel sheet. You’ll need to include all of your contact information and find a Faculty Advisor for the chapter at your institution.
- Collect the $15 from each student.
- Have elections for a Chair and Treasurer/Secretary as a minimum. (You may wish to have a Vice-Chair and separate the Treasurer Secretary role if you have 20 or more members so as to spread the load and involve more members in leadership. Your Vice-Chair should assume the role of Chair in their second year and then pass the torch.)
- Be sure that you indicate who was elected.
- Have all students sign the spreadsheet and then scan it.
- Also download, edit the Model Bylaws Document by replacing the red text as appropriate.
- Send both the electronically completed spreadsheet, the scanned one that has signatures, and the model bylaws document with a credit card number for payment of fees to email@example.com.
- Send a copy of all documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org (without the credit card information).
For assistance with starting a student chapter at your institution, contact:
Travis Tokarek, CPANS Director of Student Affairs, 403-220-8689, email@example.com.